By Dr. Anju Sodhi (Bams, ND)
Welcome to the holiday season! December concludes the year and gives us time to reflect on the events of the last 11 months. This month also allows for planning our best foot forward in the coming beautiful year. These recipes provide easy to digest but wholesome foods that will help the body be resilient this holiday season and jumpstart a healthy new year!
VEGETABLE CURRY SOUP
This is the best time of year to enjoy soup. However, some soups come with cream making them heavy. This vegetable curry soup is filling but light. This recipe makes for a complete meal, using garbanzo bean pasta as a clean and easy to digest source of protein!
- 2 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon CoCurcumin™
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup squash, cubed
- ½ cup carrots, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 8-oz garbanzo bean pasta
- 1/3 cup green beans
- Salt to taste
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large stock pot at medium-high. Once warmed, add the onion and stir until the onions are translucent. Add the CoCurcumin™, cumin, coriander, and ginger. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Combine the squash, carrots, and potatoes in the pot, coating them with the spices and ghee. Cover with the vegetable stock and let boil for 25 minutes at medium heat. Then add the green beans and pasta. Cook another 10 minutes.
Finger foods will be plentiful this time of year. This carrot recipe makes a healthy and nutritious snack that is easy to share at any holiday party or at home.
- 1lb carrots peeled cut into carrot sticks
- 4 tablespoons of ghee, divided
- 1 tablespoon jaggery, crumbled
- 2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Dry the carrot sticks by patting them down with towels. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Mix the jaggery, ginger, and black pepper together in a separate bowl. Mix in 1 tablespoon of ghee. Add the mixture to carrot sticks and coat them thoroughly.
- Heat half the remaining ghee in a large frying pan at medium-high heat. Once hot, place half the carrot sticks into the pan and allow to brown, about 4 minutes. Repeat with the other half of ghee and carrot sticks.
- Place on a plate and enjoy!
NUT AND SEED HOLIDAY BRITTLE
This holiday nut and seed brittle will be a great treat that provides nutrition with some sweetness.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup crumbled jaggery
- ½ cup Sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Heat the ghee in a frying pan. Add the chopped almonds and sauté until fragrant. Crumble the jaggery into the pan and allow to melt. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Pour the contents of the pan onto the lined baking sheet and let cool. Once solid, break the brittle into large pieces. Enjoy!